Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year's Eve/ Sunshine's B-Day celebrations

January is always a very busy month for us. Sunshine's birthday is the 3rd, Dh's is later in the month and of course New Year's celebrations. We were intending to go visit Dh's sister and family in Kalamazoo, MI since I had two nights off the show, but with snowfall predicted, we cancelled those plans and just stayed in. At the last minute, we had our good friends and neighbors, the Arrigos, over for a quick dinner and play date and small 9pm New Years Eve celebration. The kids don't know the difference in time. I had hats and silly string and poppers and horns to blows - plus pots and pans to bang. What more could infants through 6 year olds need to party hard?! We had a little dance party and then a count down and all children were in bed by 10pm. Dh and I just watched the ball lower and piddled around working on our own things.

Dh has made me the most wonderful XMas present - a compilation of all our video footage and best snap shots going back 6 years to when the first child was born. It's a 2 DVD box set and Grandparents - Yes, you will be receiving your own private copies to enjoy. It's been wonderful to see all the old footage and watch the kids grow and thrive and entertain. It makes me realize that we are OK parents when I see all that joy and attempts to create fun memories.

Sunshine turned 6 this week. The day before her birthday she asked for an American Girl doll. To which I responded that they were way too expensive and would cost half of the Disneyland money she has saved up. I reminded her that IF she read all the books (meaning 5 books for each doll and I think there are 7 or 8 of them by now) - then she could choose her favorite and I'd get it for her then. I figure that gives me a good 2-3 year window of savings. Then, out of the blue, one of her babysitters, Melanie (age 13 and far to mature for American Girl dolls now), overheard her request and offered her old Kit doll with broken legs to Dh to fix and give to Sunshine for her birthday. Dh fixed the doll up just fine (if you don't mind a phallic plastic piece between her legs holding them on) and we snuck the doll into Sunshine's bed to surprize her. She LOVED it! "See Mom, you just have to have faith! You ask for something out loud and Heavenly Father makes it happen sooner or later." Of course, it helps when Mom and Dad overhear the request and put balls in motion, but Yes, another child's prayer was unexpectantly answered.

Another reason to celebrate - I was able to help at the birth of one of my Bradley couples Jan. 2nd and help them achieve their goal of a drug free birth. It's so empowering to me to see these amazing couples work so hard to bring life into the world and see them grow in self-confidence. The moment when a Mommy first gazes into her baby's eyes makes it all worth it. What a rush for everyone involved! http://www.bradleybirth.com/

1 comment:

MommyTof3 said...

Sounds like Sunshine is just full of Faith-beautiful-it made me smile when I read that :)Sometimes kids just say the most profound, to the point, touching statements. I bet your a proud Momma -as you should be{{HUGS}} :)
Glad you had a Happy New Year-I remember waking up Mom with pots and pans one year-LOLOLOL It was toooooooo funny!
Love ya sis